Waveguide is seeking a Telecom Construction Supervisor to manage our crews in underground and aerial cable placement. He/she will determine crews needed for jobs, dispatch resources and supervise construction. This is an exciting opportunity to make an immediate impact in this brand new role!
Location: Hartford, CT
Essential Job Functions
- Provide overall administration and technical management of the CT underground and aerial construction team encompassing planning, integration installation and thru final acceptance.
- Work with Waveguide project management and operations personnel to meet specific customer needs and ensure proper resources are allocated to meet time and budget requirements. Includes specific supervision of:
- Construction crews scheduling
- Crews preparedness (trucks, tools and materials night before)
- Detail/traffic control (night before)
- Building/property access requirements (night before)
- Daily progress reporting
- Documentation and close out packages (within 24 hours of completion)
- Monitor Waveguide quality assurance standards to include:
- Frequent site inspections
- Recognition of employees that maintain high standards and workmanship
- Initiate and record disciplinary action for poor quality and workmanship
- Work with Waveguide Safe Workplace supervisor to ensure employee safety and health
- Detail/traffic control (night before)
- Monitor and record employee PPE and workplace “set up” during site inspections
- Monitor weather and make necessary adjustments or cancellations
- Monitor and promote employee training, efficiency and advancement
- Staffing – create and maintain availability for the purpose of interviewing and following up on potential employees. Seek out and identify potential candidates to recruit within the industry.
- Training – Encourage experienced staff to “train their replacements” enabling internal rapport and growth within the department
- Vetting – Recognize both success and failures of team members. Maintain accountability and document accordingly
- Retaining – Establish and maintain team communication. Receptive to feed-back, setting the example, and expectation for others to follow.
- Establish action to deal with delays due to weather emergencies or logistics. Confer with PM, on site personnel, contractors and customer to resolve quality concerns, complaints or time line challenges.
- Investigate and record damage, accidents or delays. Work with operations to evaluate procedures and methods of cost-effective “work arounds”.
- Work with Sales and Estimating during preparation and submittal of project estimates and progress and cost tracking reports.
- Implement and improve documentation and tracking procedures in order to improve accurate cost models.
- Establish department and individual goals and implement processes to meet those goals.
- Every day, take one step closer toward improving safety, quality and profitability.
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience required in the telecommunications field as a supervisor, manager, lead foreman, splice manager, and/or management skill set
- Ability to lead by example, make independent judgments when needed, and have regular contact with co-workers and customers
- Excellent tracking skills and thoroughness and detail in planning
- Must possess and continue to possess a valid driver’s license and pass random driver’s license screenings; background check and drug screens
- If not already certified, within 90 days of start date, take and pass OSHA-10 Certification
- Must be able to take and pass, and continue to pass a DOT Physical
- Travel a requirement; there will be nights & weekends where there will be work
- Overtime should be expected
- Utilize MS Office, (Word, Excel) Internet, GoogleMaps etc. Be able to use time card systems, and other internet based programs as needed or required by the role.
7+ years experience in telecommunications, supervising telecom or utility crews or in a lead lineman capacity
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
Ability to sit, stand, climb, kneel, bend, lift, crawl, squat, reach and utilize both hands and feet in an aerial and underground capacity. Drive and operate a vehicle, and/or bucket. Environmental conditions: exposure is heat, cold, dust, wet, vibration and very loud noise.
Requires the ability to sit for extended periods, stand, bend, walk, communicate via telephone, computer and/or face-to-face contact, vision to monitor, and use basic office equipment such as a personal computer, copier and fax machines regularly during the course of work. Work is performed in and out an office environment.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Waveguide is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer promoting diversity in the workplace. EEO/AAP/M/F/D/V
Waveguide has been the dominate player in the Northeastern region of the US for over 20 years when it comes to turnkey Fiber Optic networks. We have remained on the forefront of the industry demands and trends throughout our history by implementing and utilizing the latest technologies to complete our work. Our current customer base consists of large regional and national broadband companies, local and national incumbent phone and cable companies, universities, data centers, municipalities and the private sector. We continue to be a recognized industry resource for Best Practices within all of these service offerings:
* Turn-key fiber optic network design, engineering and construction * Utility and make-ready management * GIS and CAD mapping services * GPS field mapping and data collection * Hub and Head-end construction * COAX and HFC construction * DAS, Wireless and Small Cell design and construction services * Project Management services * OSP maintenance and restoration services * Plant audit and field surveys * Network upgrades, new builds and extensions * Project management
Interested applicants, please submit your resume and cover letter to: