Waveguide Solutions continues to grow its teams in New York due to the expansion of several contracts. We are seeking a full-time permanent Fiber Optic Splicing Manager that can continue to mentor, train and manage our new Buffalo based splicing teams.
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
Provide overall technical management of the fiber optic technical services team in Buffalo NY. To encompass training, monitoring, mentoring and overall development of all fiber optic technical personnel. This is a pivotal role that needs to accomplish the below responsibilities while concurrently maintaining a strong field presence and product delivery focus. Percentages of field delivery vs. management duties will evolve as technical candidates increase and advance.
- Work with Waveguide project management and operations personnel to meet specific customer needs and ensure proper resources are allocated to meet time and budget requirements. Includes specific supervision of:
- Fiber splicing and testing crews scheduling.
- Crews preparedness (trucks, tools and materials night before)
- Establish action to deal with delays due to weather emergencies or logistics. Confer with PM, on site personnel, contractors and customer to resolve quality concerns, complaints or time line challenges.
- Investigation of and recording of damage, accidents or delays. Work with operations to evaluate procedures and methods of cost-effective “work arounds”.
- Daily progress reporting
- Documentation and close out packages (within 24 hours of completion)
- Monitor and maintain Waveguide Quality assurance standards. To include:
- Field inspection of Waveguide splicing and testing.
- Develop and maintain QC “checklist” to meet all Waveguide and customer standards.
- Public and written recognition of technicians that maintain high standards and workmanship.
- Initiate and record disciplinary action for poor quality and workmanship.
- Work with Waveguide Safe Workplace supervisor to ensure employee safety and health.
- Monitor and document employee PPE and workplace “set up” during site visits.
- Document employee attendance of regular safety meetings.
- Monitor and promote Waveguide technical services employee training, efficiency and advancement.
- Participate in the hiring, on-boarding, discipline and termination of employees as required.
- Provide “hands on” lead role in development, deployment and publishing of Waveguide mentorship program.
- Review, reward and record within an “employee technician level” structure. Work with HR and operations to maintain and update this level structure to keep up with a changing work environment.
- Provide feedback on employee progress for inclusion in review all new hires at 90 days and at intervals not to exceed one year thereafter. Promote advancement and efficiency thru level structure.
- Monitor, assign and promote care and maintenance of fiber optic tools and test equipment Crews preparedness.
- Recognition of technicians that maintain and care for tools and test equipment assigned to them.
- Monitor and track calibration dates of test equipment.
- Assist Sales and Estimating during preparation and submittal of project estimates and progress and cost tracking reports, as needed.
- Review documentation and tracking procedures in order to improve accurate cost models.
- Responsibility as a key technical resource with relation to fiber optic splice, test and documentation needs.
- Maintain awareness of industry change and advancement in equipment, procedures and practices.
- Work with COO and Director of Operations to ensure Waveguide maintains up to date equipment and constantly utilizes best practices.
- Responsible for management of “small projects” primarily with splice/test predominant requirements.
- Develop accurate project plans and budgets for all assigned projects. Modify as needed and ensure delivery and close out of completed jobs.
- Ensure that all jobs are maintained in a project tracking system with complete accuracy.
- Create, assemble and verify documentation and billing on a timely basis.
- Promote and support a positive and productive workplace environment.
- Strictly adhere to and ensure the privacy and individuality of employee personal information.
- Perform reviews, warnings and any HR related conversations with COO, Director of Operations or like level senior manager.
- Conduct and share managerial conversations and discussions in a controlled and private environment.
- Maintain a unified leadership influence on technicians and crews with senior level and project management.
- Promote the Waveguide TEAM both internally and externally
8-10 yrs of splicing/testing and 3+ yrs in managing teams in the telecommunications industry
Strong computer skills; MS Office
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Repeated and frequent ability to lift, from floor to above head 40 lbs continuously. Ability to sit, stand, climb, kneel, bend, lift, crawl, squat, reach and utilize both hands and feet in an aerial and underground capacity. Environmental Conditions exposure is heat, cold, dust, wet, vibration and the possibility of very loud noise. Requires the ability to sit for extended periods, stand, bend, walk, communicate via telephone, computer and/or face-to-face contact, vision to monitor, and use basic office equipment such as a personal computer, copier and fax machines regularly during the course of work. Work is performed in and out of an office environment.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Waveguide is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer promoting diversity in the workplace. EEO/AAP/M/F/D/V
Interested applicants, please submit your resume and cover letter to: